“If there is one essential tool for ESL students to have, it’s a reliable, comprehensive, easy-to-use dictionary that puts them on course to excel,” said Michele Turner, CEO of Dictionary.com. “The addition of our Learner’s Dictionary to the Dictionary.com app is all that and more, with
2 million definitions, synonyms and antonyms, an audio pronunciation function, and a translator offering unlimited free translations between English and 30 other languages.”
The impact of English on business is undeniable, and roughly 1.75 billion people – about one in every four – speak basic English. Recognized as the global language of business, English is used by an estimated 565 million people on the Internet. The Harvard Business Review reported that an increasing number of businesses mandate English as the common corporate tongue, including Airbus, Daimler-Chrysler, Fast Retailing, Nokia, Renault, Samsung, SAP, Technicolor, and Microsoft in Beijing.
The Learner’s Dictionary is integrated into the Dictionary.com app, which has been downloaded 80 million times. It is another essential learning tool, whether for students looking to improve test scores or increase their chances of enrolling in the college of their choice; an employee aiming for faster advancement; or an executive eager to expand into an English-language market. From the company that delivers definitions for more than 3.6 billion words searched annually, the new Learner’s Dictionary is packed with features such as:
- Full dictionary capabilities going far beyond the limited features in standard learner’s dictionaries
- Translator with translations between English and 30 other languages, such as Hindi, Chinese, Malaysian, Korean, Spanish, German, French and more
- Audio pronunciation function to instantly know the correct way of saying a word
- Voice search to easily find a definition
- Offline capability, so no Internet connection is needed for searching for words
- Idioms and phrases used by native speakers to empower anyone to stand out in a job interview
- 41,000 foundational words and definitions for learning English
- 105,000 easy example sentences to learn essential words in context
- Grammar and tips for additional command of English language
With the addition of the Learner’s Dictionary, the Dictionary.com app has all the tools to help students get college admissions letters noticed, secure interviews, and land a job. Besides readying anyone for travel, business meetings or even the most casual conversation, the Dictionary.com app is also ideal for preparing for university exams, such as the CAT, GRE and GMAT.
The updated Dictionary.com app is available to download at:
Dictionary.com, an operating business of IAC (NASDAQ: IACI), is the world’s leading, definitive online and mobile resource for everything word related. We provide over 50 million global monthly users with reliable access to millions of definitions, synonyms, audio pronunciations, example sentences, translations and spelling help through our services at Dictionary.com, Thesaurus.com and Reference.com. Our leading mobile applications for reference and education have been downloaded more than 80 million times.